Floyd Irving Olson - Morris Nilsen Funeral Chapel

May 30, 1927 - November 8, 2020

Floyd Irving Olson, age 93, formerly of Richfield, died on November 8, 2020. He was a Navy Veteran during the Korean Conflict. He was also a proud member of the Masonic Lodge since 1950. He is preceded in death by his wife Ruth Irene; brothers Paul A. Olson, Nels H. Olson, Carl E. Olson. Survived by stepchildren Janalee (Eric Anderson) Aurelia, David (Debbie) Falk; grandsons, Jacob, Anthony, Tyler Falk.

Janalee Aurelia's eulogy

Floyd Irving Olson was a hero.
Floyd honorably served two tours in the U.S. Navy: July, 1945 – July, 1949 and May, 1952 – March,
1954. This service is commendable, but I think he was his bravest, most heroic, on July 2, 1976, when he
married my mom, Ruth Irene Olson. Floyd was 49 and had never been married. Now he suddenly became a husband and like a father to
two adult stepchildren. How awesome is that! Floyd was warmly welcomed into my family. As well, his family, two brothers and their wives, 6 nephews and 2 nieces, all welcomed us into their extended family. Over the years, Floyd demonstrated unfailing
support, validation and love . . . definite father-like qualities. I remember Floyd and mom bicycling to my softball
games or showing up at my sand volleyball. They attended grandson, Tyler’s, hockey games. He
actively engaged in family birthdays, holidays, reunions and all the other family gatherings.
Floyd remained supportive and steadfast for my mom as she battled diabetes and ultimately was
doing dialysis 3 times a week. In the years after my mom’s passing in 2006, I became even closer to Floyd. Floyd enjoyed dining out. He always enjoyed a
good meal and trying a new restaurant, be it Macaroni Grill, 5-8 Club, Old Chicago, Houlihan’s, which we called “houligans” or really any other spot. I remember the first time I took Floyd with me to get a mani/pedi. He was initially so reluctant. Immediately, however, he was hooked, and
thereafter always made it clear he wanted a “luxury” pedicure! After my mom passed, I was able to spend even more time with him: running errands, taking him to appointments. I spent many evenings after work doing a cleaning and scrubbing for him at the condo. We always went out to dinner when I
finished my work. One evening I arrived to find him seated with friends in the lobby area and having a nice chat. I put a hand on his shoulder and told him to stay and visit while I headed up to start cleaning. As I left, I heard Floyd being asked if I was his girlfriend! We laughed and laughed about
that. Thereafter, I would knock on his door and announce that his girlfriend had arrived. Floyd always showed concern for others. When we
were out and about together, he would ask me if I had found a good parking spot, if I had enough gas. One afternoon we returned to my car and HE
noticed that my license tabs were expired and had been for 3 months. We immediately drove to the service center to buy my tabs.
Floyd always asked how all the other members of the family were doing, what was new with them.
So, this is the Floyd I remember. The man who quietly and stoically supported, validated and loved his wife and all his family. I will miss him
immensely. He was a very good man. He was my hero.

Memorial Service:
Saturday, November 28, 2020
11:00 AM

YouTube Link to

Recorded Link for Floyd’s Service.

In lieu of flowers, memorials preferred to
Hope Church,
7132 Portland Ave.,
Richfield, MN 55423


  1. Petra Palmquist says:

    Rest in peace, Floyd, lots of fond memories from our visit in 2002. Alice and your laugh from pulling velcro. Give Irene a big hug when you meet her in heaven. Lots of love from Petra and the girls

  2. Greg & Susan Olson says:

    My uncle Floyd, or “Unc” as he was affectionately known, was a man of faith: a member of the “greatest generation”, he lived by example. He lived daily by doing. He taught me so much about modesty, humility, love, treating others with respect. Underneath that stoic Swede exterior (“you can tell a Swede but you can’t tell him much”) beat a heart of gold. I often found out about what was going on in his life from others. He never made a big deal about anything he was doing. He just did it and moved on to the next thing in his daily living. I got a glimpse of his deep faith. We were walking to the car after church during my visit when Irene was in the hospital. Spontaneously, with a little skip in his step and a beatific smile on his face, proclaimed “He is risen! Hallelujah!”. That was a very special moment. When my wife, Susan, and I last saw him, Floyd stopped and hugged her. He did so a little stiffly (he did not usually show affection). But it we were very appreciative, and it showed us that he was always willing to grow and change. We will miss him!

  3. Suzette Huguet says:

    Floyd and Irene welcomed me into their neighborhood in 1983. They identified themselves as the owners of the house with the red mailbox. He helped me when my side of the street lost power and I couldn’t open my heavy double garage door with the non operating automatic opener. I was also the recipient of the porcupine (?) shoe cleaner when they moved to their condo. When Irene’s health declined, he was there for her. After her death, I’d be out walking and saw him on his way to Hope Church. Floyd helped there with the Loaves and Fishes program. I haven’t seen him for quite awhile now and thought he moved. He and Irene are together again in a better place.

Leave a Condolence Message:

Condolence messages are moderated by our staff and therefore may take up to 48 hours to appear. Thank you for your patience.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *